This is more than just a funky looking lamp!
Here are 7 unexpected benefits to keeping a Himalayan salt lamp in every room.
Himalayan salt lamps seem to be having a moment. I first heard about these lamps a few years ago when I discovered it on Vitacost.com. I thought they were so pretty but I didn’t really know much about them and the thought of getting one just slipped my mind for the next few years. Fast forward to 2016 when I was visiting a friend of mine, I noticed what appeared to be a bowl that was made up of salt “Oh my goodness is that a Himalayan salt lamp?” I asked. Sure enough, it was and she started to tell me some of the benefits of having one your home.
Here are 7 reasons why it is beneficial to keep a Himalayan salt lamp in your home!
- It’s Pretty – Maybe this isn’t the most important reason to own a Himalayan salt lamp but it’s my favorite reason. They look amazing! I love the texture of the lamp and how they aren’t quite perfect looking. The orangey glow is another reason I covet this lamp. It’s so nice to turn out the lights at night and cuddle up next to the mysterious orange glow. Not to mention if you take a selfie by the glow your skin will look awesome!
- Purifies air – Has the ability to remove air contaminants such as smoke, pollen, and dust.
- Reduces allergies – Since the lamp has the ability to remove contaminates from the air it can reduce the symptoms of allergies and even the common cold.
- Releases Negative Ions – Salt lamps emit negative ions into the air. Why is this a good thing you ask? Well according to WebMD negative ions “are believed to produce biochemical reactions that increase levels of the mood chemical serotonin, helping to alleviate depression, relieve stress, and boost our daytime energy.” This is important because we are constantly being surrounded by appliances, computers and other electronics that emit positive ions. Positive ions deplete us of our energy, increases anxiety, causes difficulty breathing among many more negative outcomes. The salt lamp works to release negative ions which can help to counter those effects.
- Relaxing color – The orange glow of the lamp may have positive effects on your mood and can even work as an alternative to a night light. They can be used with out disturbing sleep patterns and they give a nice softness to whatever room you are in.
- Environmentally friendly – Many lamps use sustainable wood and the salt is natural so you know it is safe for the environment. Not only that but they generally use up very little energy.
- Inexpensive – These lamps are generally inexpensive and are becoming more readily available. I have this one from Amazon but they are also available at Bed Bath and Beyond and Vitacost.com.
There are actually a bunch more reasons why you might want to get a salt lamp. And if you’re interested in more of the science behind why it’s a great addition to your home check out the links below. Do you have a Himalayan salt lamp? If so how do you like it and can you tell any difference in air quality? Let me know below.